It is no secret that air fryers are growing in popularity by the day. Everyone can’t stop talking about these magical appliances, all thanks to their ability to make foods taste deep-fried, yet with significantly fewer calories and lower fats. Most of the air fryer recipes largely fall in two categories: crispy chicken and healthier chips.
Sure, air fryers do magic in amping up these two categories of food. But for vegans looking to make plant-forward meals using the air fryer, finding the practical vegan air fryer recipes takes a bit more digging. Fortunately, we’ve done all the hard work for you, and we will be featuring air-fryer based recipes that are 100% vegan, and 100% simple to make.
4 Delicious Vegan Air Fryer Recipes
Take a look at the air fryer vegan recipes below.
Air Fryer Vegan Recipe – BBQ Lentil Meatballs
Preparation Time: 5 Minutes
Cooking Time: 40 Minutes
Yield: 20 Lentil Balls
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ cup dried mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup dry brown or green lentils
- 1 cup diced yellow or white onion
- 2 tbsp sunflower or avocado oil
- 1 clove minced garlic
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp water or vegetable broth
- ½ cup vital wheat gluten
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce or vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tbsp vegan BBQ sauce
- ½ tsp salt, to taste
- 1 cup vegan BBQ sauce
- In a large pot, combine together the vegetable broth, mushrooms, and lentils. Heat the pot over medium-high heat to bring the mixture to a boil.
- Switch down the heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed and lentils are tender. Leave lentils to continue cooking and proceed to the next step.
- Pour oil into a small saute pan and warm over medium heat. As soon as it is hot, add onions to pan and saute for 7-10 minutes, or until onions are caramelizing. Then, adjust heat to medium-low, and add garlic and tomato paste to pan. Saute for additional 1 minute. Set the pan aside.
- In a food processor, combine together the cooked lentil/mushroom mixture, vital wheat gluten, onion/tomato mixture, Worcestershire sauce, 3 tbsp BBQ sauce, onion powder, smoked paprika, parsley, water, salt, and pepper. Gently pulse until the mixture is fairly combined, but still chunky.
- Lightly mist the air fryer basket with cooking oil. Dip your hands in water to moisten them. Then, using your moist hands, form the lentil mixture into roughly 2-tablespoon-sized balls.
- Set each ball in the fryer basket, being sure to leave a ½-inch space between them. We recommend working in batches depending on the size of your air fryer.
- Lightly coat the tops of lentil balls with cooking oil and set the air fryer to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Air fry for 12 minutes or until the outside turns golden brown.
- Place the cooked lentil meatballs in a platter and spread 1 cup BBQ sauce over the top. Serve with toothpicks and enjoy.
Vegan Air Fryer Cauliflower Chickpea Tacos Recipe
Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
Cooking Time: 20 Minutes
Yield: 4 Servings
- 4 cups cauliflower florets, sliced into bite-size pieces
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 19 oz can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning
- 2 sliced avocados
- 8 small tortillas
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- Coconut yogurt to drizzle
- Preheat the air fryer to 390 degrees Fahrenheit or 200 degrees Celsius.
- Put the chickpeas and cauliflower in a large bowl and coat with olive oil and taco seasoning.
- Place everything into the air fryer basket and cook for about 20 minutes
- Keep shaking the basket after every 3-4 minutes until cooked through. When done, cauliflower will turn golden but not burnt.
- Serve in tacos with coconut yogurt (for vegan), cabbage and avocado slices. You can also use regular yogurt for vegetarian. Enjoy while still hot.
Vegan Air Fryer Bow Tie Pasta Chips Recipe
Preparation Time: 30 Minutes
Cooking Time: 10 Minutes
Yield: 2 Cups
- 2 cups 152g dry whole wheat bow tie pasta (we suggest using brown rice pasta for gluten-free results)
- 1 tbsp 7g nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp 15ml olive oil (aquafaba is the best)
- 2 tsp 3g Italian seasoning blend
- ½ tsp salt
- Cook the pasta for about half the time indicated on the label. Toss drained pasta with olive oil or aquafaba, followed by Italian seasoning and nutritional yeast. Add salt to taste.
- If using a small air fryer basket, put about half of the mixture in it. However, if your air fryer is large, you may be able to do the cooking in one batch.
- Cook for about 5 minutes at 390 degrees Fahrenheit or 200 degrees Celsius.
- Rotate the basket after 5 minutes and continue cooking for 3-5 minutes more or until crunchy.
- Remove and let cool in order to fully crisp up. Serve warm and enjoy.
Vegan Air Fryer Baked Potato Recipe
Preparation Time: 2 Minutes
Cooking Time: 30 Minutes
Yield: 1 Potato
- 1 russet potato, medium
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Let the air fryer preheat at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for a few minutes.
- Rinse the potatoes and drain them using a towel. Lightly drizzle olive oil all over the skin and dust some kosher salt on top.
- Set in the air fryer basket and let cook for 30-40 minutes. When done, they will record an internal temperature of 205 degrees Fahrenheit. Note that the cook time might be longer depending on a number of factors, such as the size of the potato, size of the air fryer, and the number of potatoes being cooked.
- Using a fork, slice and open the potato before adding the toppings. Then, add your favorite toppings and enjoy.
There you have it, four of the simplest, healthiest, and perfect air fryer recipes vegan. All these recipes not only take the least time to get on your table but also fresh, flavorful and healthy. These vegan air fryer recipes got us excited with their abundance of veggies and big flavors, all without the guilt. Since vegan is all about clean eating, we covered recipes that can easily be made gluten-free. Try these easy recipes today and let us know how they taste.